Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Princess Bride

"The Princess Bride" is one of the best book-to-movie translations out there, perhaps because the screenplay was written by the book's author, William Goldman. Despite his attribution of the book to an “S. Morgenstern,” don’t be fooled. The book is a piece of meta-fiction: a story within a story within a story. This is one of the things I enjoyed about the book, but it’s not missed in the movie. The movie removes one of the layers, but keeps it a story within a story; although changing it from being about William Goldman’s navel-gazing fictionalized self and his relationship with his son to, in the movie, being about a grandfather’s relationship with his grandson. The movie’s bookend is much more likeable, I think. Goldman as a pathetic screenwriter who wants to impress actresses while in Hollywood doesn’t come across as nearly as charming. Sure, his attempts become derailed as he tries to track down a copy of S. Morgenstern’s “The Princess Bride” for his son back in New York City, but I much preferred the movie’s more wholesome story of a boy home sick who receives a visit from his grandfather.

The main plot of Westley and Princess Buttercup follows the book quite closely. It does drop some backstory on the supporting characters, but the movie isn’t hurt for this. If anything, it makes reading the book after seeing the movie more rewarding. The actors make the characters so loveable that I was excited to learn more about their backgrounds. The movie skips over this for the sake of time and narrative flow, but rewards readers by not removing callbacks or hints to the backstories of the book.

Though the music and sets of the film are a little cheesy taken on their own, the film is really wonderful thanks to Goldman’s witty writing and the actors’ committed, solemn delivery. In my opinion, the actors make the movie better than the book.

Film: “The Princess Bride” (1987) Directed by Rob Reiner, written by William Goldman. Starring Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, and Robin Wright.

Book: The Princess Bride (1973) Written by William Goldman.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love this movie, and I have a friend who told me the movie was way better than the book as well, so thanks for confirming. :) It makes me appreciate the humor and the commitment the actors put into the movie way more knowing that the book is different and the movie could have gone in a completely different direction. Thanks!

Kasiah said...

The Princes Bride has been one of my all time favorite movies since I was a little girl! Recently I was sick and in the hospital and my mom brought me a gift basket with the book in it! I haven't read it yet but I'm hoping to read it over winter break!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Movies by the Book. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by WP Themes Master | Price of Silver